Friday, November 15, 2013

Thoughtful Thursday: Why the Trim Healthy Mama plan is for me

Note: Today's post is actually from yesterday, but I still thought it was worth sharing!

Today brought a huge surprise for me: Stacy of Stacy Makes Cents quit THM. Which made me think..... why am I eating the THM way? Beyond the basic reasons like

  • I lost 20 lbs. in 4 weeks 
  • I feel great!
  • I finally figured out this area of my life!
  • I enjoy connecting with a community of women from different seasons and walks of life - and we get to connect over food! Imagine that!
Before I begin, I want to state that this is not an attack on Stacy or her post; rather, it is a response. So please stick with me while I explain my point of view.

Before starting THM, while I had not really put an extreme amount of thought into having kids, or even close to that point of my life, I generally accepted the fact that weight gain was a sacrifice that I would have to make when I had kids; better to enjoy the slim-ish figure now! I didn't even think of the other factors in being a good mother - energy, your body's ability to have chidren, spiritual stewardship of your body, etc.

During THM, I thought it was about how my body looked. I was wrong; so very wrong. It's truly not about how your body looks, although that is a part of it, as God made us to reflect his ingenious and intelligent design. I strove to look my best, but missed the best part of the THM - the freedom to not have to worry about that. I didn't want to waste the beauty and freedom of THM in using it in a way it was not meant to be used - to obsess over my body and striving to drive it to perfection. I was using THM as a tool to make myself miserable over making my body something that it was never meant to be when it was really to be used as a tool to make me realize that God loves us and gives us good gifts - freaking out over a gain of 2 pounds was not the way to do it.

But after re-evaluating everything I've come to realize that....


  1. This plan is really a whole lifestyle based on you living your best life with a tool given to you by God. He doesn't want you to be miserable while serving him. He loves you, and wants the best for you.          
  2. You can be yourself. With this type of plan, you can make your Muffin a Mug in a microwave or the oven; whatever works for you! You don't have to fit in a certain type of mold to be accepted in this community. Just be yourself, and who knows? Maybe you'll finding yourself changing for the better, eventually! Point is, it is truly a customizable plan
  3. THM is about fun, fun, fun! I visualize the Trim Healthy Mama community as a huge group of sisters. We cheer each other on, pray for each other, and give good recipes and advice to each other! We love fun recipes that make us savor the moment! 
  4. We love celebrations - because we have a lot to celebrate! Whether its turning another year older or a seasonal holiday like Thanksgiving we have a lot to be thankful for and celebrate!
This a really limited list of reasons, but ones that I think are really essential to the spirit of plan. Look for more posts in the future, about how to use the Trim Healthy Mama plan as a tool to help you be your best self!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...